Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Fall 2013: The Year of the Spin-off

The Fall Season is rapidly approaching.  Have you noticed the trend this fall for spin-offs?  I don't think I have seen so many spin-offs in a very long time.  Let's break it down, shall we?

First, let's tackle the spin-off from the Blockbuster movie, The Avengers.  You didn't know that?  Well, buckle in.  Joss Whedon has returned to the small screen with Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.  I predict that this will be a Big Win for Whedon and ABC.  I would watch anything that Joss Whedon wrote, but that is just me.  After Firefly went down in flames I wasn't convinced that any television executive had any sense.  I am hoping that this show restores my faith.  Here is the trailer if you aren't up to speed (turn off the music box at the bottom of the page before watching):


Fairy tales are thriving in books and on the television. The Brothers Grimm and Once Upon A Time are both huge hits. Once Upon A Time first aired on ABC in 2011, so it will be entering it's third season this fall. That show focuses around Snow White, Prince Charming, and the Evil Queen, though no fairy tale character is off limits. They all live in Once Upon A Time after all. This fall a new show is spinning off called Once Upon A Time In Wonderland. If you are thinking, "I bet the main character is Alice." You would be right. Given how well fairy tales have done, it has a fairly good shot at succeeding.


The Vampire Diaries, on the CW, immediately became a wild success when it debuted in 2009. Can I say that Stephanie Meyer cleared the way for all things vampire amongst the teen set? Some of us were already there. I loved Anne Rice's vampire series, written back in the 80s. I also watched Joss Whedon's Buffy The Vampire Slayer and Angel. In truth, both are/were far better shows than The Vampire Diaries, but I still tuned in for Ian Sommerholder, who plays Damon Salvatore. The rest of the cast is pretty much a snorefest of teen angst. Well, that was true until 2011 when the plot took a turn and the five original vampires showed up in Mystic Falls. Yep. The five original siblings that turned every other vampire. Yes, that did get interesting. Of course, some were more interesting than others. They are the three that are still alive. Ha! And they will be getting their own show on the CW next season called... The Originals. I predict it will be a raging success.


Welcome to Fall 2013, the year of the spin-off. Did I miss any???

No comments:

Post a Comment